The Business of Christmas
As well as being a religious tradition, a much-loved holiday and a time for family, friends and food, Christmas is a multibillion pound industry that dominates the globe.
ItΓÇÖs not all puppies and baubles at Christmas as the season represents a key opportunity for certain industries to capitalise on the good feeling.
HereΓÇÖs a few facts and figures highlighting the consumer angle on the Christmas angel.
When it comes to the food and drink industry, Christmas is unsurprisingly a boon to business. As a nation, weΓÇÖve been known to:
- Cook 10 million turkeys for dinner (┬ú400 million)
- Eat 370 million mince pies (┬ú50.6 million)
- Drink 35 million bottles of wine (┬ú165 million)
ItΓÇÖs not just what you put under the tree that makes Christmas; what about the tree itself? HereΓÇÖs a rundown of the UKΓÇÖs decoration consumption:
- Decorate 7.5 million Christmas trees (┬ú245 million)
- Write 1.7 billion Christmas cards (┬ú1.2 billion)
- Pull 25 million Christmas crackers (┬ú25 million)
How much are you willing to spend on your loved ones during the happiest holiday of the year? In the UK, weΓÇÖre generous enough to give:
- 350 million hours of our time shopping online
- ┬ú112.50 worth of presents per child
- ┬ú2.4 billion of unwanted presents
Are you looking forward to splurging this Christmas or do you prefer a low-key spendthrift affair? Share your Christmas crackers in the comments!