Is your office a Green office?
Changing our lifestyles to create a positive impact on the environment is a way of life for many of us in the home ΓÇô recycling, reusing and opting for organic products. The green message is well and truly with us at home, but seems to have passed us by in the workplace.
officebroker.com, the UKΓÇÖs largest online office search facility, believes that more should be done to encourage sustainable working practices, especially since many of us spend more time at work than we do at home.
When it comes to going green in the office, there are plenty of small, straightforward ideas that are easily integrated into our working environments. Research has shown that businesses whose employees have embraced environmentally friendly working practices have enjoyed considerable benefits including reduced costs and a closer, communicative workforce.
The following simple steps can easily make your office space a greener place:
- Ensure all computer equipment, machinery or other mechanical appliances are turned off when not in use. Ensure the last person to leave the office turns everything off including drinks machines, fans, and lights ΓÇô perhaps have a checklist drawn up and posted by the door or alarm control panel.
- Recycle, reduce and re-use waste. Measures such as printing or photocopying on both sides of paper and turning scrap paper into notepads can massively reduce paper wastage.
- Did you know that 80% of the UKΓÇÖs lighting energy is used at work? Switch off unnecessary lighting where possible to avoid waste and position desks close to windows to ensure natural light use is maximized ΓÇô and you may get a great view to boot!
- Use the stairs instead of the lift ΓÇô itΓÇÖs a great way to get fit too!
- Consider turning the heating down and wearing warmer clothes in winter. Liaise with health and safety staff to tackle over heating caused by poorly maintained equipment or ventilation.
- See if colleagues would be interested in organising a green travel plan. This could include walking in groups, cycling, car sharing etc. This is also a good way to build team morale and get to know people from other departments
- Invest in re-useable such as china cups and metal cutlery, rather than disposable.
- Use email or notice boards to share information instead of printed memos.
- Encourage your employer to choose local products and materials to reduce energy use and pollution.
- Visit the Going Green section of the site for more top tips and info
These are just some of the simple tips that can be easily integrated into the working environment to ensure you are being green and also save your company some money!
The UKΓÇÖs greenest office building is at Thorpe Park, Leeds
Office space providers and construction companies are also beginning to adopt a more environmentally friendly approach when it comes to the building of office space ΓÇô so you are being green right from the word ‘go’ if you choose one of these options.
The UKΓÇÖs greenest office building is at Thorpe Park, Leeds and boasts the highest BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) rating of any office in the country, and was developed to showcase the commercial viability of sustainable developments and boost awareness of the growing importance of ΓÇÿgreenΓÇÖ office space to the commercial sector.
If you are looking to relocate your office, or would like to see which environmentally friendly offices are available in your area, officebroker.com will be able to help you in your search.
So, what are you waiting for? Turn your office into a green office!