Historic Town Hall in Leyton Joins officebroker.com
A business centre located in Leyton, North East London, has recently been added to the officebroker.com website.
Dating back to the late 19th century the building was designed and built as office space, and has been home to council staff for decades. Aside from offices the former town hall had many other uses, most notably hosting events including banquets, weddings and even silent cinema viewings.
Since the majority of council staff moved out in the 1960s, the historic Grade II listed property has been underused and went through a period of decline until it was bought by its current owners in 2006. Since then the property has undergone a significant redevelopment and refurbishment project to the tune of ┬ú10 million, that has seen the former town hall gradually brought back to its former glory.
Many of the rooms are wood-panelled and these have been carefully preserved, while the halls have been re-painted in the original burgundy and cream colours.
The marble tiled floors, ornate ceilings and even the original 1930s Tanoy speakers have been renovated; furthermore as part of the process a range of modern facilities have been installed to create a modern workplace suitable for small and medium sized businesses.
The building was built back in 1896 after it was commissioned by the council, who needed a larger town hall in response to the growing population of Leyton. Following a design competition which attracted over 30 entries from local architects, the plans of John Johnson were chosen and put into practice at a cost of ┬ú17,286.
The building was then further extended in 1910.
One of the most significant features of the building is the enormous Great Hall – a tremendous, vast room that takes up most of the first floor. It had many uses – normally as a council chamber, but it was later used to host banquets, balls, public meetings, weddings and even as a cinema for silent films before World War I.
The building remained in use until 1965 when the boroughs were merged, and later consolidated into another building. Although some offices and store rooms were kept in use, the rest of the Leyton Town Hall building fell into disrepair.
Since its purchase in 2006 and subsequent transformation, today the property offers a range of office space in a modern business environment across three floors. The centre still pays homage to its history, as many original features have been preserved along with the aesthetics of the building, while modern utilities such as kitchens, meeting rooms and break-out areas have been introduced for the benefit of tenants.
Find out more about this Leyton business centre online at officebroker.com.