Don’t make a turkey of yourself! How to survive the office Christmas Party
Its official – the office party season has officially begun!
Has your invitation to the obligatory Christmas party dropped on your desk yet?
To make sure you donΓÇÖt make a turkey of yourself, officebroker.com ΓÇô the UKΓÇÖs leading online search facility for office space ΓÇô has put together a quick reference guide to help you survive the party season.
- When you gotta go, you gotta go ΓÇô Even if you boss is Scrooge in disguise, you really should make an appearance at your Christmas party.
- Eat, drink but donΓÇÖt be too merry! ΓÇô Just because people wish you a ΓÇÿMerryΓÇÖ Christmas doesn’t mean you should guzzle down copious amounts of the festive punch! Be aware that alcohol lowers your inhibitions and may cause you to do something you regret.
- DonΓÇÖt flash too much flesh – Leave low-cut, short and overly-sexy items of clothing in your wardrobe. Not only will you catch a cold, but you may also lose the respect of your bosses and co-workers.
- Watch the clock Cinderella – Arrive within 15 minutes of the party starting and make sure you are not the last one propping up the bar.
Enjoy yourself without becoming the butt of the office jokes when you do go back to work after the Christmas break
- Break the Ice ΓÇô Parties are not the time to be a wallflower. Mingle, introduce yourself to everyone. Get the conversation going by asking about Christmas and New Year plans.
- It’s not a Speed Dating Event ΓÇô This is an office party, not a singles bar and it will not advance your career by chatting up the boss. Also make sure you arenΓÇÖt caught in any compromising positions with a hidden camera ΓÇô Big Brother is always watching!
- Beware of the office gossip – Never should you traffic in office gossip. You never know who is standing behind you.
- No to the Plastic! ΓÇô Buying a drunken round for 30 on the never-never may seem like a good idea at the time but the chances are that while your colleagues will soon forget this act of goodwill your credit card bill will still come round in January!
- DonΓÇÖt talk shop ΓÇô And whatever you do, remember that now is not the time to ask your boss for that long awaited promotion or pay rise. You honestly wonΓÇÖt get it!
So it is all pretty simple really ΓÇô make sure you dress to impress (but not too much), donΓÇÖt go overboard on the punch and keep the topic of conversation strictly festive!
However, above all make sure you enjoy yourself without becoming the butt of the office jokes when you do go back to work after the Christmas break.