Dont Make a Turkey of Yourself! An officebroker.com Guide to Surviving the Office Christmas Party
officebroker.com offers the following advice to office party goers everywhereΓÇª
- When you gotta go, you gotta go – Even if your boss is named Ebenezer, you should show up at your Company office party.
- Eat, drink but donΓÇÖt be too merry! ΓÇô Probably the most important “do” at any office party. Just because people wish you a “Merry” Christmas doesn’t mean that you have to take them literally. Be aware that alcohol lowers your inhibitions, clouds judgment and may cause you to do something you regret.
- Leave the mini skirt in the wardrobe – Leave low-cut, short and sexy items of clothing in your wardrobe. Not only will you catch a cold, but you may also lose the respect of your bosses and co-workers.
- Watch the clock – Arrive on time and don’t be the last one found propping up the bar or asleep in a corner.
- Talk the talk ΓÇô Parties are not the time to shrink into the wallpaper. Mingle and introduce yourself to everyone. Have some ice-breakers ready such as: “What are you doing for Christmas?” but avoid conversation deflators such as: “Do you have kids?” (If the answer is no, there’s no place to go from there.)
Andy Haywood, Managing Director, officebroker.com
- Don’t flirt with the boss ΓÇô This is an office party, not a singles bar and it will not advance your career. Also make sure you aren’t caught in any compromising positions with a hidden camera – trying to explain a slow dance with the MD may be difficult.
- Beware of the office gossip – Under no circumstances should you traffic in office gossip. You never know who is standing behind you.
- Grin and bear it ΓÇô The party is being given for your benefit, so be gracious, forget your paltry Christmas bonus and leave your Grinch personality at home for the evening.
- Leave the bank card at home ΓÇô Buying a drunken round for 30 may seem like a good idea at the time but the chances are that while your colleagues will soon forget this act of goodwill your kids won’t when Santa doesn’t come as a result!
- Don’t talk shop ΓÇô And whatever you do, remember that now is not the time to ask your boss for that long awaited promotion or pay rise. You honestly won’t get it!
Owned by joint Managing Directors Jim Venables and Andy Haywood, officebroker.com is the UK’s leading online office broker and works with 97% of the country’s serviced office space providers and landlords. Founded six years ago it has grown into a multi-million pound enterprise with offices in the UK and US, and plans to launch divisions in Hong Kong and Amsterdam in 2008.
Managing Director Andy Haywood said: “We’ve all heard stories about people making fools of themselves at the office Christmas party. These tales may be a source of great amusement but the truth is, too much alcohol and merriment can affect perceptions and have a negative impact on your career.”
“However, the Christmas party can also be the perfect opportunity for you to network and improve other people’s opinions of you. Handled correctly, it could further your career, not ruin it.”