Can Feng Shui Sway Office Ambiance?
“A better office environment means more motivated employees,” says managing director Jim Venables.
“Evidence also suggests that pleasant working conditions enhance staff loyalty and improve productivity.” .
A recent survey by one of Britain’s leading banks revealed that messy offices could stop workers from doing their jobs properly and even result in one in five workers wanting to quit. .
While factors such as natural light, air conditioning and a culture of keeping the office tidy and businesslike of an office, in some countries, businesses consider the working environment to be so important that Feng Shui is widely used to boost luck, wealth, health and harmony.
Founding consultant of UK based Rising Dragon Feng Shui, Angela Ang offers businesses the following advice:
- Bosses should sit in the corner farthest away from the door to adopt the “command” position.
- Letting natural sunlight into an office creates positive “yang chi”, which helps to promote better staff productivity and morale.
- Avoid cacti or sharp looking plants in the office as their small, sharp leaves cause “sha chi”. As air passes through the plants it will become fierce and sharp, affecting office harmony.
- Desks should be organised and uncluttered so employees can focus their brain power on work rather than have it dispersed on little things that don’t matter.
- Mirrors should never be hung in an office as they can reflect negative energy around.
- To allow for the free flow of chi, ensure that all wires are hidden. Tangled wires can generate “snake shar” and create accidents.
Feng Shui has been used in offices in some parts of the world for more than 5,000 years. .
Translated literally from Chinese it means Wind and Water and, in plain English, it means “The cause and effect of environmental energies on you”..
“Whether you consider Feng Shui to be a bit far-fetched or a valuable business tool, it is worth remembering that this ancient art has been widely used by businesses across the world for thousands of years,” says Jim. .
“Anything which can improve a person’s working environment has to be considered seriously and we are certainly seeing a lot more European businesses now working with Feng Shui consultants such as Rising Dragon.” .