Need to rent an office?

CALL: 020 3053 3882

Blog

Beyond the Salary ΓÇô 10 Most Popular Employee Perks

Beyond the Salary ΓÇô 10 Most Popular Employee Perks

Salary might be the starting point, but it takes more than money to motivate employees. We take a look at the ten most popular perks offered by UK companies.*

=1. Extra paid leave

Taking the lead, 65.2% of UK employers give their staff at least 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays each year, in excess of the statutory minimum.

=1. Training and career development

Sharing joint first place with paid leave is training and career development, which is also provided by 65.2% of employers. Given the benefits which this provides to employers too, itΓÇÖs no surprise that itΓÇÖs so popular.

3. Childcare vouchers

With working parents now making up more than a third of the UK workforce, 62.7% of companies offer childcare vouchers (worth up to £1000 a year) to ensure that they don’t miss out on the best employees simply because they have parental responsibilities.

4. Free tea, coffee and cold drinks

Not what most of us would call a perk, but with 37.7% of employers not providing free beverages at work, perhaps we should consider ourselves lucky.

5. Christmas do

59.6% of employers splash out on a Christmas lunch or party for their staff. This gesture of festive cheer is usually a great morale booster and a way for workers to socialise with others from different departments.

6. Onsite car parking

Another one of those perks you donΓÇÖt appreciate unless you havenΓÇÖt got it. 56.9% of employers provide onsite car parking. Workers at the remaining 43.1% of companies have a choice between finding parking on a side street or paying public car parking fees.

7. Eye care vouchers

Given the amount of time most office workers spend at a computer screen, itΓÇÖs no surprise that help with the cost of eye care is the most popular healthcare perk offered by employers.

8. Employee assistance programme

Employee assistance programmes provide support for employees facing a wide range of issues, from money matters to psychological counselling. 48.9% of employers use it as a way to improve employee wellbeing. Although employees are unlikely to see this service as a perk, it could well make the difference between them leaving or staying with a company if they find themselves facing emotional, financial or other personal issues.

9. Life assurance

48.4% of employers offer life assurance policies. While not exciting, for many employees with financial responsibilities and dependants it provides them with much-needed reassurance.

10. Enhanced maternity/paternity leave

Like childcare vouchers, this is another sign of the awareness of working parentsΓÇÖ needs. 44% of employers now offer maternity and paternity leave beyond the statutory minimum.

What benefits would you like your employer to offer? Tell us in the comments below.

*League table via CIPD.

Elsewhere on the Blog…

Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on Facebook

Author: | April 18, 2013 | 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *