Need to rent an office?

CALL: 020 3053 3882

Blog

Are Freelancers Pining for the Office?

Are Freelancers Pining for the Office?

YouΓÇÖve packed up your desk, said your farewells and waved the office goodbye. But for how long? A new survey has revealed that almost half of freelancers miss the buzz of office life.

ThatΓÇÖs according to a survey by Rev.com, which discovered that 46% of freelancers miss the social aspects of working in an office, while a further 5% miss having a boss.

Although not all had a rose-tinted view of their former working environment: 28% of those surveyed said that they miss nothing at all about office life.

Overall, older workers were least likely to miss the office, with 37% of those over fifty unable to find a single reason to go back. Among freelancers under thirty, this figure dropped to just 19% ΓÇô suggesting that the remaining 81% would consider returning to work in the office ΓÇô given the right circumstances and incentives.

95% of those who took part in the survey had worked in a traditional office before taking the plunge and going it alone.

And while they may miss the office in hindsight, getting away from it was a big motivation for going freelance in the first place. 35% of freelancers couldnΓÇÖt wait to be their own boss, while 17% wanted to spend more time with their family ΓÇô and believed that managing their own work schedule would help them achieve this.

A further 11% of freelancers simply wanted to work from home, rather than from a more formal office environment.

As technology makes it ever easier for office workers to go it alone, the freelance workforce has continued to grow ΓÇô and flexible working practices have continued to grow alongside.

For those employers looking for new ways to retain talented workers, this latest research suggests that offering flexible working could play an important part ΓÇô particularly among those employees who want to work from home or want more time to spend with family.

But itΓÇÖs not just for employers and employees. For those freelancers who are keen to stay just that, shared office space such as the growing trend for co-working may help to alleviate those twinges of nostalgia for the office.

Work from home? Do you miss the office? What, if anything, would make you return?

Pin on PinterestTweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on Facebook

Author: | August 13, 2013 | 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *